When it doesn’t hurt your eye anymore …








Grace Cunningham

When it doesn’t hurt your eye anymore …

By Lynda Cookson

Grace Cunningham surreptitiously fed a piece of cheesecake to Radebe, the family Spaniel, trying not to let me guess that he rules the roost. She laughed gently as she told me about her life and her art - ‘I was all over the place when I left school. I wanted to work with animals, I knew art had to come in somewhere - and I wanted to be a ballet dancer as well!’ She broke off in order to fetch Radebe’s bone which he had dropped out of reach and was too lazy to fetch. He was lying at the door open onto Grace’s peaceful garden, whimpering with his ears and stumpy tail twitching, pleading for the attention which he felt was rightly his and which he knew he would get from his kind and gentle mistress.